Website University of South Florida
Original ad posting here: https://gems.usf.edu:4440/psc/gemspro-tam/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=35268&PostingSeq=1
Department: Department of Communication / 0-1217-000
College: College of Arts and Sciences
Salary Plan: Regular
Hiring Salary: Negotiable
A Preeminent Research University and AAU member with campuses across the Tampa Bay region, the University of South Florida is one of the nation’s top public research universities. The Department of Communication at the University of South Florida seeks to fill a 9-month, fulltime and tenure-earning Assistant Professor of Communication position with a specialty in health communication and disparities. A PhD in Communication or related area is required. Applicants who are ABD will be accepted, but the degree must be conferred by the appointment start date on August 7, 2024. Salary is negotiable. The department welcomes all applicants and encourages historically underrepresented candidates to apply.
The department seeks a social scientist whose research focuses on health communication, which should include health disparities. Possible areas of research include but are not limited to: health communication campaigns; public health messages and interventions; health mis/disinformation; advocacy and engagement; media effects and health outcomes; and information communication technologies in health settings. The ideal candidate will conduct empirical and theory-driven communication research, and have a demonstrated record of or promise of outstanding research and obtaining external funding.
Applicants should be able to teach undergraduate and graduate courses in a variety of formats, including health communication, persuasion, and quantitative methods as well as develop new courses in the applicant’s area of study. The potential to mentor masters and doctoral students is preferred.
Department faculty embrace a range of humanistic and social scientific modes of communication inquiry. Faculty seek a colleague whose research engages innovative approaches to health communication and can highlight difference and belonging in their work.
The Department is committed to inclusive excellence. The Department strives to recruit and retain faculty who represent the cross-section of students the University serves, and supports the academic, professional, and personal success of all faculty.
QUALIFICATIONS (Education & Experience):
Candidates must have:
- A doctoral degree in Communication or a related field from an accredited institution at time of appointment.
- A demonstrated record or promise of achievement in social scientific research related to health communication and disparities. Applicants must meet university criteria for appointment to the rank of Assistant Professor.
- A demonstrated record of or potential for obtaining external funding.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- A record of achievement in academic, quantitative social scientific research related to health communication campaigns and disparities that demonstrates the ability to earn tenure at a research-1, AAU institution.
- Experience teaching courses in communication or related fields, particularly health communication and quantitative methods.
- The potential to mentor masters and doctoral students.
More information here: https://gems.usf.edu:4440/psc/gemspro-tam/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=35268&PostingSeq=1